Traveling with Piano Tools

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:14:19 -0800 (PST)

Hi Bob,

I have successfully flown to Wisconsin and back with my tools a few times. Don Mannino suggested these ideas to me, and they work well.

Jam each tool securely into its pouch, wrap each pallet with stretch wrap, and print a sheet that says "Piano Technician Tools" on a letterhead and put it inside. I usually put some clean rags or a sweatshirt in to take up the slack. I've had no problems so at all, I was present one time when a TSA went through it, and was thanked for doing it that way.  Also, remember to leave the Protek, Goose Juice or whatever at home. I generally leave the spendy tools at home, too.

Dave Davis
Renton, WA

I am planning a trip to Massachusetts at Christmas and want to take my Piano Tuning gear (including my Verituner) with me so as to do some family tunings while there.  In the past, I always drove so never thought about the changes now in place for air travel.

Have any of you flown with your tuning gear with you and what advice would you offer for packing it, carryon vs. checking; and what problems you have had in carrying your gear with you.

Thanks.

Bob Bergantino, RPT
Willoughby Hills, Ohio