Polishing bass strings

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:38:12 -0600

  Subject: Re: Polishing bass strings

   The strings it has do not tarnish or can be polished by me. :>)
  James Grebe

  A customer was given a "restored" Steinway A by his aunt and wanted to
impress her with the fine care he was lavishing on it.  Brasso worked very
well to brighten All the strings, but..."now the bass sounds dead."   Not
able to replace the strings before Auntie arrived, he and friends covered
the sound board with plastic, then many layers of newsprint and scrubbed the
strings with paint thinner, followed by air drying with the vacuum cleaner's
discharge.  After 5-6 hours of sweat and tears, the strings came back to
life...probably a 90% improvement, and they never damaged or soiled the
dampers or action.  Auntie was pleased with the care (but never heard about
the string thing).   Personally, I'd go with the new strings.

  Paul C