Replacing strings

mps@usol.com mps@usol.com
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:00:51 EST

Hello friends,

I tried my hand at replacing a treble string last night. The first time
through it did not look the greatest (2 coils on 1 pin and 3.5 on the
other).
So I loosened it up and tried it again with fresh wire.
The second time it turned out quite well and I was impressed with
myself.
However, I also have a single bass string to splice. The string was
broke at the pin while tuning. Since I am not going to replace the
string due to it's age (this is my own personal piano by the way, an
old Hackley upright), I now want to try my hand at splicing wire. I
have read and re-read Reblitz on this, Randy Potters wisdom and
have read a thread or two on this site.
But I seek more input here...
Anyone care to offer any suggestions? (ie, how to wind the wire to
prevent kinks, the best tool for that, etc.)
You have helped me so much in the past!!!

Thanks in advance

Mark