Your practical hammer weight experiment (was RE: Good book on voicing...?)

Lesher, Trent J. tlesher@sachnoff.com
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:42:04 -0600

Thanks Barbara.  This is a real clear, practical nugget.  Can you explain a little more what it sounds like when you hear "interference," going if possible from the attack, through the initial stronger sound, to the sustain after the first second, finally on through the decay?

>From your experiment, did you begin to develop a sense of what falls within a reasonable range, i.e. a range within which hammer weight is more a matter of taste vs. what is just plain too heavy or too light?  In other words, could you say something like "moving hammers down from X-interval to Y-interval above all resulted in different tone envelopes each of which some might like or might be good for different situations," BUT "moving hammers down from more than Z-interval above or up from more than N-interval below, they just seemed to be too light or too heavy to work well for the range in question and no longer resulted in a sound that I would considerable desirable for normal  purposes."

I guess any such observations might vary a lot from one range of the scale to another (and from piano to piano, type of hammer, etc.), but just wondering if you had any more observations to pass along about that.

Best regards,

Trent Lesher

Barbara Richmond wrote:

...OK, I'll tell you what I did with the question of
hammer weight and tone production.

You can experiment by taking hammer assemblies off from one area and placing
them in another.  You'll have to re-regulate the notes, but if your voicing
is even in the first place, you'll get an idea of what a lighter (or
heavier) hammer will sound like.

In my case, the heavier (too heavy) hammers produced a tone that I can best
describe has having "interference."  When I moved lighter hammer assemblies
down to where I was testing (from a fifth above or even an octave above),
the tone blossomed and became more focused.  The progression of tone quality
from soft to loud was extremely impressive.

Have fun.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
somewhere near Peoria, IL

****** IMPORTANT NOTICE ******
This e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is intended only for use by the
confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me
at (312) 207-1000 and permanently delete the original and any copy of any
e-mail and any printout thereof.