an "Open Letter" and apology.

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 19:49:35 -0800

<<So Terry,

When in Amsterdam........

André Oorebeek>>

I have always wanted to visit there! I plan on it soon. My decendants are
from Sweden.
Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: antares &lt;antares@euronet.nl&gt;
To: Pianotech &lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;
Subject: Re: an &quot;Open Letter&quot; and apology.
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:34:06 +0100

So Terry,

When in Amsterdam........

*(; &gt;))))

André Oorebeek

On 19-nov-04, at 5:18, pianolover 88 wrote:

&gt;Happy Thanksgiving and Holidays!
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;I ask that you please read the following in its entirety.
&gt;
&gt;First I would like to thank those who have emailed me (off-list)
&gt;with words of support.  The basic sentiment is that they did not
&gt;feel that I was: A. “bashing” birdcage and/or squares. Indeed, I was
&gt;speaking for myself ONLY, saying that I prefer not to work on them.
&gt;I in no way was criticizing anyone who serviced them. But I do not
&gt;know of ANY technician, piano teacher or anyone else (who knows
&gt;about pianos) who would recommend these antique instruments to
&gt;anyone just starting out, and interested in learning to play the
&gt;piano. While they are often beautiful instruments to look at, they
&gt;still are obsolete and cannot compare with “modern” pianos for
&gt;performance and tone quality. It would be like a Driver instructor
&gt;recommending a Model A jalopy to a 16-year-old wanting to buy
&gt;his/her first car. Yes, they can be restored to a point, but cannot
&gt;come close to the performance or safety standards of a modern
&gt;automobile.
&gt;
&gt;B. The “tuning fee” debacle. This got waaay out of hand as well.
&gt;When someone (I won’t name names) implied that “I must not be as
&gt;‘good’ as a more expensive technician” if I charged less, that’s
&gt;fine. I’m a big boy and can take it. I just felt it was a bit below
&gt;the belt to call me a “bozo”, and “pathetic”, etc. As any fair
&gt;minded person would agree, high price does not always guarantee high
&gt;quality. For example: The Olsen twins got BIG bucks for a recent
&gt;“film” they starred in. Does that mean that they are great, or even
&gt;good actors? Hardly. Or just because a movie like “airplane”, which
&gt;I thought was hilarious, and made millions at the box office way
&gt;back when; is that a better quality film then, let’s say, Amadeus,
&gt;which was critically aclaimed, but made much less at the box office?
&gt;
&gt;And what I said about addictions was taken totally the wrong way by
&gt;some people. Let me clarify. I lost a very close friend to substance
&gt;abuse. He died  (at only 39) after lapsing into a coma. He lost his
&gt;wife, house and most of his friends; I didn’t abandon him. But I
&gt;could not help him because he was so addicted to pain killers and
&gt;booze, he was shut off and in his own world of denial. He died that
&gt;way. And addictions like this and worse can and DO affect every
&gt;strata of the social and economic spectrum. Now I know some people
&gt;are unforgiving no matter what, but most people are good-hearted, as
&gt;I believe I am. People who know me see me as a warm, friendly person
&gt;who is usually the first to pick up the check, compliment others and
&gt;have a good, if sometimes “edgy” sense of humor. I have a background
&gt;as a stand-up comedian/actor and, believe it or not, ventriloquist!
&gt;I actually made a living doing that, as well as a radio announcer
&gt;for a few years.
&gt;
&gt;Lastly, I want to offer a sincere apology to ANYONE who I may have
&gt;offended. I have been a list member for several years, having
&gt;contributed positively for the most part, but admittedly, I stepped
&gt;in it more than a couple times. I hope those who were offended will
&gt;accept my apology. Unfortunately, sometimes the printed word is
&gt;often misconstrued, or taken the wrong way. I know sometimes little
&gt;snips are lifted here and there and then “quoted” out of context to
&gt;make the person look bad. But again, I will take responsibility for
&gt;what I wrote and again say I’m sorry. Please everyone have a
&gt;wonderful thanksgiving and HAPPY HLOIDAYS!!
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;Terry Peterson
&gt;