Wound Trichords

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:09:09 +1100

>. . . If it was good enough for Chickering to put 6 trichord wound
>unisons on the tenor bridge in the 1889 6'4" grand I've got in a
>practice room, why can't trent put them in a console?
>
>WHY?

Because if Chickering were given the option of having his time over
again, in 2004 he would probably have opted to use bichords, using a
core wire about two half gauges smaller than the last plain wire,
with a speaking length of between 12% to 14% shorter than the last
plain wire speaking length and wound with a 0.2 mm copper wrap.
Trichords and Bichords at the lower end of the long bridge are a work
around for breaking too low. Of course, Chickering reduced the
speaking length when crossing to the tenor bridge, as did Steinway
with their tenor bridged O, but they didn't change to bichords.

A better solution is to move the break up to where it will work. Very
few, if any, of the OEM brigade have the courage to do it.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers