Wound Trichords

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 12:17:02 -0600

>I had actually been thinking one way to improve the tone of the last
>couple notes at the low end of the long bridge on my M&H 50 -- C#3, the
>lowest before the break, is 38-3/4" long -- would be to replace the plain
>wires with wound ones.  Now it seems mayybe I am full of misconceptions
>and this is a bad idea -- but why?
>
>Trent Lesher

Not a bad idea so much as a less than ideal fix. Putting the wrapped
bichords on the low end of the tenor bridge will likely make it less bad,
if it can be made to fit into the scale. For instance, that 38.75" C#-3
with plain wire trichord will be at about 24% of breaking tension
(regardless of wire size, within reason). That's pretty low, and will be
very reactive to tension changes resulting from humidity fluctuations,
meaning it will go out of tune quicker and farther than unisons farther
up-scale, or down scale in the high bass. Tension will be determined by the
wire size used there. For instance, unison tension with #20 will be about
404 lbs, or about 369 lbs with #19. Going to a bichord unison, dropping two
or three half sizes for the core, and figuring wrap to get back near the
unison tension that was originally there will raise the break% to around
40%. That's going to be a more stabile unison with humidity changes, and
sound better too. The trouble is, that puts you at the bottom of the list
of available copper wrap sizes, requiring about a 0.007" wrap to keep the
tension down around where it was with the plain strings. Arledge uses as
small as 0.006" for copper wrap. That takes care of C#-3, if the impedance
and inharmonicity connects reasonably with the high bass. Now you'll
probably want to go 2-4 notes higher with wrapped bichords to blend the
impedance and inharmonicity into the rest of the treble. What happens? You
maybe need 0.006" wrap for D-3, and smaller than is available for the next
one or three. There's the problem, and the reason this doesn't always work
that well, and the reason for transition bridges. The speaking lengths are
too long at that pitch for wrapped strings. What you can get away with
depends on the individual scale and what you have to work with.

Ron N