should I stay or should I go, late to the topic

Kurt KurtGearheart@comcast.net
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 12:52:04 -0700

"I was attending an outdoor music festival years ago, (I was going to
accompany a folk singer), and the promoters had a piano due to be delivered
by the time the headliner was going to play (Andre Crouch.) Mr. Crouch and
his entourage arrived and still no piano. A member of the audience drove
his pickup home and brought the spinet from his living room. They asked me
to tune it up quickly as start time for the performance had come and gone.

     I checked the pitch and it was almost a whole step flat. While I was
on stage starting to tune in front of a baseball field full of people, the
promoters put on a husband/wife gospel duet to perform for the crowd while
I tuned 8 feet away. I had my head stuck inside the piano within inches of
the strings concentrating hard to hear what I was doing, and a guy sat down
on the bench and said he had tuned a piano once and if it would help he
would tune the the top half of the piano while I tuned the bottom half. I
told him that I was afraid that that wouldn't help.  He decided to stay and
chat while I tuned, though."

Ha!

Some day I may relate the time I was called upon to tune a piano that was
already AT A-440,  to be tuned DOWN exactly a half-step flat.

New Baldwin grand with ultra-tight and jumpy pins.

While a helicopter was hovering 75 feet directly above my head.

Outdoors. In the desert sunshine.  While 100 carpenters constructed a
building AROUND me.

For an Axel Rose (Guns n Roses) video shoot - "November Rain".

OOOPS.

Guess I just related it.

:-)