StwyGrand lid prop modification.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:58:17 EST

List
   Some where in the history of lid prop evolution  things have changed. In
the beginning someone created the very loooong &  very singular lid prop. Some
were as it seems, at least 6 ft long. Ok not , but  they were looong... As if
to say this is a GRAND PIANO & the lid shall  be open!
   However, I speculate that after decades of  parental frazzeled nerves from
Jonnies piano lessons & singers saying  "Can't cha please play softer" this
keen desire for an acoustic remedy found  it's way to the complaint file at the
factory levels.
 The telegram probably was stated in terms something  like "dears sirs. Stop.
We love your piano but, it's too loud. stop. We don't  like playing with the
lid the way up or for that matter down either. Stop.  Please, So send new
piano with a short stick attachment. stop This way I can get  my hymnals back out
from under the lid. STOP!!
  So about 1920 something, the modified lid prop showed  up & the world was
saved from a nervous breakdown,frazzeled nerves &  possibly an emergency room
visit or two.
 Now further down the road we find many GRAND pianos with  as many as four
different length sticks on a lid prop. I say Overkill, but  whatever.
  Anyway I do agree that the short stick is a handy  option & surely sells
many more pianos as it can be the feature of the  year.  Salesman,"Yes mam ,Our
new improved Shheckelberg & Sons Grand  piano has 7 lenths on our new lid prop"
  Any way as rebuilders & service people to the  masses we still have many
great pianos out there , & not just S&S grands  ,with the yet to be modified or
retrofitted lid props.Folks people are  suffering!
  The New factory props are thicker & look a bit like  steroids were employed
&  also a bit shorter in length than  originals. Not nearly so elegant I
might add. Yes, I've converted many a grand  to the factory provided new style,
reluctantly, & I now I have these  beautiful spare original & graceful lid props
laying around on the shelf  from the golden age when grand pianos were
truly..... grand.
  I got to thinking about this so I decided to try a  conversion.
  If I could devise a simple quick & easy way to add  a short stick to the
original I'd be happy. The original stick could be salvaged  & reused. I despise
the gross & pathetic srew on brass  thingees.
   I took theorigianl stick & located a slot 1/2  inch wide & about 9 inches
long slot based on the approximate location of  its newer factory counterpart.
I traced the slot pattern in pencil, decided how  deep the slot should be &
then drilled out the material between the lines  with a 7/16 inch Forster bit.
  At the base end of the long stick, where the short  sticks pivot is
created, it is necessary to create an  opening  completely thru the long stick, for
perhaps an inch or  more So the short end of the short stick's end has
clearance in the open position. Easier seen the typed. You know what I  mean. Look at
one.
    It's basically & simple mortising  operation. Once the meat of wood is
removed the sides of the slot can be easily  straightened & trued up with a very
sharp chisel. I used a one inch crane  neck to clean  up the slot. Any sharp
chisel will do. Use wider ones  to keep the edges true.
    A new short stick was cut out of maple that  was 7'16ths wide & then fit
it to the slot. This gave an elegant   sleek appearance that complimented the
original.
  I created the pivot hole by clamping the entire  assembly with the short
stick in place in the drill press vice. I selected a  drill that was appropriate
for a Stwy type lid hinge pin & drilled the hole  thru both pieces/sticks
but not all the way thru the opposite  side of the long stick. The pin fits
snugly in the hole & only the  round head is visible. One can easily mount it with
a screw as well ,which ,is  how the new ones are ,but I chose this for now.
All this took a whopping 30  minutes.
   A recess can be drilled in the strong back  to receive the end of the
stick & lined with the appropriate color of  leather.
     Have fun with my new  Shop trade secret. Warranty not included.
  Dale Erwin