keyboard levelling

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:55:20 +0100

Hello Quentin, David and list.

Strange, I find it much easier to appreciate a straight line in the keys =
when viewed from the side of the keyboard, than to appreciate the =
individual distance from the keys to a stick placed above them =
(certainly if that distance is small).  Also, only by eye can I pound =
three informations : the alignement of the underside of the fronts of =
the keys (supposed of course that they are perfecly evenly cut, which is =
nearly always the case), the alignment of the underside of the keytops, =
and the alignment of the upside of the keytops (which, if ivory and old, =
can have altered thicknesses due to wear which would induce some severe =
leveling errors when regulated with the stick).

And, when it comes down to less than 0.16 mm difference between the =
level of adjacent keys (0.08 mm is the thickness of the smallest balance =
rail punchings I use, and I suppose here that the balance hole is =
approximately in the middle of the key length), which difference I'm =
sure anyone can see, I believe that the discrepencies in the other parts =
of the action plus the discrepencies in string height and the =
discrepencies in the apparent bore distance of the used hammers are all =
of greater consequence (and concern) to the regulation. =20

Best regards.

St=E9phane Collin.