Howard grand -- stiff pedal

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:42:15 -0500

I tuned a Howard neonatal grand recently, and the sustain pedal took a lot
of effort to push down, with a lot of travel.  It didn't seem to be
friction, just the geometry; it was quite high off the floor (maybe 2").
The owner said the previous tuner determined that the rod was 3/8" too
short.  Would this make a difference in leverage?

The pedal rod was brass, about 1/4" diameter, and had a threaded nut about
3/4" tall at the top, all the way extended.  Including the nut, the rod was
20 1/4" long.  As I remember, the pedal was horizontal at rest.
By the way, it had a model designation of C140A, indicated by a molded brass
rectangle attached to the plate, Chinese-style.  Is this one of those Samick
Howards?  The serial number fits (46567, about 1983?).  Thanks, as always...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV