jack slides out before delivering power

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:52:04 EST

Greetings,

             Working on a Hamilton built by Baldwin studio upright today, I
noticed that  on a reallly soft blow to the key, the jack wants to slip forward
almost to the back of the catch's shank, instead of delivering the kick to
the base of the hammer butt.

             The customer complained that, on a soft blow the key wouldn't
play and would sort of jam. Looking at this situation I saw that the jack would
sometimes just slip out too much forward and not deliver its power. What would
cause this? Could the keys not be levelled high enough?

Julia Gottchall,
Reading PA