epoxy coloring

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:19:24 -0600

Subject: RE: epoxy coloring

Bob,

Since no-one else has responded, I'll toss in my two cents.  I don't know
about oil stains, never tried them but I'd be concerned about their effect
on the epoxy strength.  I've found a blend of West Microlight filler,
yellow chalk, and red chalk, that matches pretty well.  The chalk is
hardware store powdered chalk for chalk lines.  Can't tell you the exact
proportions, but it's mostly microlight, a moderate amount of yellow, and
just a dash of red.  And you won't know what color it really is until it's
cured, sanded, and finished.  Lotsa luck.

Mike

> Subject: epoxy coloring
>
> Soundboard crack repair question:
> Can oil based stains be used to color the epoxy?
>

> Bob Hull

Bob:
Stay away from oil based stain and epoxy.  Mohawk Finishing has a wide
variety of powdered stains that work vry well for coloring epoxy.  Also you
can check with Ruth Phillips.  She/they handle a lot of finishing stuff and
have good advise for piano oriented services.  Look in the PTG directory
under Webb Phillips & Associates.

Paul C