jacks Does and naugahyde?

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:37:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi Sarah,

Baldwin Hamiltons from that era (at least the ones I
have seen) place positive pressure on the whippen.
This means the jack spring has to be much
stronger--but it also means there is never lost
motion. A poor trade off imho, as when the instrument
ages repetition gets flakey.

The butt "leather" was Doe skin--then a modern mirical
material called "corfam" which unfortunately got hard
and clicked. Today many makers use "escane" which
seems to have all the good features of doe
skin--without killing bambies.

Most people would focus on the jack flange reacting to
humidity change causing poor repetition...but I think
the wippen flange may be the culprit.

>... which was once exactly the problem with my little
>Hamilton.  It was aggrivated by higher humidity.  As
I >recall, the Hamiton butt leather isn't really
leather >but is some synthetic stuph.  Perhaps it
expands >somewhat with humidity???  Anyway, the cure
was to add >a wink more lost motion, at least on *my*
piano.

=====
Regards,
3004 Grant Rd, Regina, SK, S4S 5G7