Rubber Nuts Replacement on Spinet

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:42:22 -0500

That does sound like a good idea for nuts on and off Mike. Thanks.

But my main concern was removing the petrified rubber from the threaded =
rod and from the key end forks. I wonder if simply running the nut up =
and down the shaft would do the trick. On the first nut I tried, I =
couldn't even turn the nut it was so stuck. I was wondering if anyone =
had any experience getting the petrified rubber off the threads and the =
key end forks.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Mike Kurta=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 7:45 PM
  Subject: Re: Rubber Nuts Replacement on Spinet

      Hi Terry:
      You can make the job a LOT easier by using a simple tool you may =
already have.  When you break away the petrified rubber from around the =
square nut at the top of the bushing it is a perfect 1/4 inch square.  =
Using a 1/4" ratchet extension, chuck the small end in your battery =
drill and voila!  You have a square socket nut remover and installer.  =
It may be necessary to drill out the inside of the square end to have =
enough room for the threaded rod.   You might have  to hold the wire rod =
with a needle nose vise grip if they are really tight.    For removal =
and replacement of these nuts, it works great and saves a ton of time. =20
      Mike Kurta