a "stringy" sound; voicing or strings qualty

antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 19:28:29 +0200

On 1-apr-05, at 19:19, Alpha88x@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>  =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 A lady recently (12/05) =
purchased a 6' Kawaii, I dont=20
> know the model number, and I tuned it. She says she likes the tuning,=20=

> however she says the piano sounds "stringy". I agreee, I would use the=20=

> word twangy, though. I think this may be a matter of voicing, but I am=20=

> not so sure. Do these hammers need to be hardened? I think that time=20=

> will harden them up.
>
>  =A0 I am more inclined to think that it is cheap strings that are=20
> making the twanginess or stringyness. What say you, anyone?
>
>  Thanks,
>  Julia Gottscall,
>  Reading, PA

I don't think Kawai uses cheap strings.
The so called "twanginess' may be caused by either dampers or hammers.
Hardened damper felt for instance causes a 'twangy sound' when the=20
dampers hit the strings, especially when you release the damper pedal=20
slowly.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek