a "stringy" sound; voicing or strings qualty

Avery Todd avery1@houston.rr.com
Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:30:07 -0600

Julia,

A Kawai RX-2 is 5'10" and the RX-3 is 6'1". So I guess it "could" be either
one. :-)

At 11:19 AM 4/1/05, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>              A lady recently (12/05) purchased a 6' Kawaii, I dont know
> the model number, and I tuned it. She says she likes the tuning, however
> she says the piano sounds "stringy". I agreee, I would use the word
> twangy, though. I think this may be a matter of voicing, but I am not so
> sure. Do these hammers need to be hardened? I think that time will harden
> them up.

If it sounds twangy, IMHO, the hammers are already hard enough. Probably
too hard! I've never seen/heard a Kawai (or a Yamaha or any other Oriental
built piano, for that matter) that needs the hammers hardened! Usually the
opposite. Mostly, the Kawais and Yamahas are pretty good sounding now with
a minimum amount of voicing, depending on the model. I have a problem with
one or two right now (SEVERAL broken strings) but I just haven't had a
chance to get to them and do some voicing! We have a lot of fairly "heavy"
players, so I have to deal with that. Even on our lease pianos which are
less than a year old!

>   I am more inclined to think that it is cheap strings that are making
> the twanginess or stringyness. What say you, anyone?

Not at all likely. As far as I know, there aren't very many choices in the
piano wire one can buy and as far as I know, none are "cheap" (I'm not
talking about price!) :-) Kawai tries very hard to make a very good
instrument and over the 20+ yrs. I've been tuning them, they've improved
REMARKABLY!

Avery