Oorebeeks Punch'ns

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 2 Apr 2005 01:18:50 EST

Andre,

I've read the article, and I have the samples of the punchings you sent  me.
I'd like to buy a couple of sets.   What I'd like to do is  install them in
my piano and play them over a long period of time--if I ever get  the time to
play my own danged pianner!

Lemme know who's selling them here!

Dave Stahl

antares@euronet.nl writes:

On  1-apr-05, at 10:15, David Nereson wrote:

>   What puzzles  me a bit about this article is that it is argued that
> the taper  somehow makes the punching firmer because it reduces the
> mass of the  punching at the top where the key hits it.  But the
> diameter is  wider than the green punching pictured next to it, which,
> I would  think, would cancel out any reduction in mass.  I don't doubt
>  that the punchings are better, but it's hard to believe the taper
>  helps any if they're wider than the plain ol' green ones.  I imagine
> it's just the more firmly-packed felt (denser), as mentioned earlier
> in the article, that makes the key hit bottom with a more positive
> (less squishy) stop.
>    --David Nereson,  RPT

As I said before ( and also in my article) : I learned  about this
tapered version at the Yamaha Academy.
My instructor there,  at the time, showed me the difference between the
smaller side of the  punching up, and the smaller side of the punching
down.
It did clearly  make a difference in sound.

One thing I have learned about this new  Wurzen punching, is, that if an
instrument has not been regulated the  right way, or when an instrument
has very loud hammers, you will not hear  any difference.
You will hear a difference though when the instrument has  been
regulated the right way, and when the hammers have a more or less
'normal' voicing, i.e. not really too loud, and not really too  soft.
There is of course a wide scale between very soft and very loud, but
then.....  those two are extremes.

The influence of the new  tapered Wurzen punching is subtle, and can
only be heard on an instrument  which has been regulated and voiced
according to 'normal' professional  standards.
The feel/touch of the new punching on the other hand, is an  other case
: 'any' regulation becomes more clear and more defined when you  install
these punchings. How can it not be the case?
It is a more dense  material with a very satisfying elasticity which
Vladan Temer described so  clearly before when he tested several kinds
of punchings.
That means  that a key dip of 10 mm is a key dip of 10 mm.
No more, and no  less.
That in itself makes all the difference.