Strange bridge

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 2 Apr 2005 01:19:39 -0600

The felt wrapped strings going through the bridge pins would seem to lend a
muffling effect.  The idea of a wound string going through two bridge pins
is so counter intuitive I wonder if a particular shop or "repair" was in
"vogue at some time.  Also it is hard to tell in the picture but the
bichords next to the singles seem to be wound going through the bridge pins
but they have no felt.  You said you have seen this felt many times on
straight strung Broadwoods---is this on grands or uprights or both? ---ric

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Alan Forsyth
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 5:47 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Strange bridge

That type of bass stringing is a particularly Broadwood trait from late 19th
century. The windings going through the bridge pins, I suspect, is to avoid
the plain section on the speaking length before it reaches the bridge which
can create it's own frequency and has a very high non harmonic partial. The
felt wrapping is so that the string can render more easily through the
bridge when tuning. I have seen this arrangement many times on straight
strung Broadwoods. I mentioned this a couple years ago, but no one seemed to
notice except one subscriber who wanted photographic evidence. Well here it
is.

AF