Oorebeeks Punch'ns

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Sat, 2 Apr 2005 09:33:11 +0200

Hi Jason.

I agree with your thoughts about the importance on the sound of the =
pianist's feel at the fingertips.
But there is another thing that is easy to experiment : the influence of =
the thump of the key landing on the keyframe on the final sound of the =
note being played.  More than that, not only the sound of the very thump =
here mentionned, but also the way this impulsion feeds back to all the =
strings via the keybed, the rim, the soundboard and the bridge, and =
gives extra energy to the vibration of the string and the whole acoustic =
machine, and mixes up with the thump of the hammer and hammer shank at =
hammer-string contact time.  You can easily isolate that thump by =
removing a hammer from the hammer rail and playing the corresponding =
note (with the action in the piano) : the key knocking sound you hear =
(emphasized very much if you depress the demper pedal) is really part of =
the overall sound.  Now, change the punching, the sound will change =
accordingly.  What is magic is how the final acoustic result of some =
blends of impulsions make you feel good, while other (only slightly =
different) blends, not so.
What I found great at Andr=E9's punchings is that they have exactly the =
right firmness : harder ones tend to make a disagreable thump (tac tac =
tac) in the trebble, and softer ones won't give you the nice end of dip =
feeling (and regulation), and will absorb more of the energy of the key =
thump.

Best regards.

St=E9phane Collin.

  The truth, I suspect, is in the marvelous nervous structure leading to =
the artist's fingertips. The regulation of aftertouch is, let's say, 10x =
more precise with the antares punching than with a too-soft punching. I =
suspect that the fingers, finding a much more precise bottom, are able =
to deliver that much more precise a blow. Having played and found this =
certain bottom, the *fingers* are now much more sure of how much force =
to use in the attack on the keys. This is what affects the tone. The =
artist's touch is made more effective by the clean bottom.=20