Jack Flange Repair and Bass String Matching

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks@yahoo.com
Sat, 2 Apr 2005 20:01:34 -0800 (PST)

Yes, the glue has just failed.  My next question is....does the whole action need to come out to make the repair, or can I just unscrew the lever flange?

The bass string broke right at coil.

I am taking Randy Potter's course, although most of my time has been in tuning practice (and I have gotten better each time!)  Now I am beginning to work on common repairs, etc...on my own piano so I can get prepared for the field.

Matthew

Alan <tune4u@earthlink.net> wrote:
Jack: If the glue has just failed, reglue it with Titebond or Elmers Wood Glue. If it is broken, you can get replacements from Schaff. Make sure you glue it on straight.

Nuts: Slip joint pliers with a rag in the jaws so you don't burr the metal.

String: Best option in this situation, by far, is to splice the string and reuse it. This can be done even if the knot ends up in the speaking length of the wire. Where did it break? 2nd option (more expensive, time consuming, and sound mis-matching is to send your old string (or careful measurements) off to be duplicated. Don't leave the bichord with a missing string for too long as it will cause problems with felts, hammer, and action centers on that note.

I don't know where you are on your tuning career development, are you a PTG member? Taking a course? Got a copy of Reblitz? Got copies of the PTG tuning and technical test prep books? I only ask because these are fairly basic questions and issues that will come up a lot as you go along. Hope it helps.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO