Bechstein-Moor Coupler Action

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Sun, 03 Apr 2005 07:17:00 -0500

At 01:31 4/3/2005, you wrote:
>Okay, Alan, I'll bite...is this for real???  What is it???  April Fool's???
>
>Dave Stahl

Dave,

Okay, I'm not Alan, but I have a brother so named...

Yes, it is very real. I've seen the beasties. Two manuals using the same
stack.  Somewhere I've seen a drawing where you can see more clearly how
the octave (34)  and the coupler (49, 50, 51, 52) work.  [34 is
oblique]  As you can imagine, when coupled it is VERY heavy.

One point not easily understood from the drawing if you haven't seen the
thing in the flesh is that the rear portions of the naturals of the lower
keyboard are raised (7) to allow a chromatic glissando.

I hope my picture of one I saw in Edinburgh helps a little. (Alan may have
seen the same one - at EUCHMI) You can see the raised portion of the
naturals better against the block which replaces the top octave of the
upper manual.

BTW, this one also is fitted with a "harpsichord" attachment which works
just like a moderator, but instead of moving a strip of felt or leather
between hammer and string, it moves little metal bars.  Let off is VERY
large to allow this feature...

Fun, no?

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 42273_13.jpg