Reconditioning

William R. Monroe pianotech@a440piano.net
Sun, 3 Apr 2005 10:45:44 -0500

Matthew,

I don't know how many responses you may get on this query.  Action
reconditioning usually has a few particular items that we could say
"usually" get done, but the reality is that each action will require
different things.  Combine this with each individual technician's propensity
for doing (not doing) particular items, and the process will vary widely.

I would include in my "usually" category:
Cleaning all parts
Repinning all the action centers
Resurfacing jack/balancier tops
Reshaping Hammers
Reconditioning Knuckles/Bolstering
Buffing Capstans
Rebushing Keys
Repairing Pulley Keys
Buffing Keytops
Replacing misc. felts
Complete Regulation

Having listed these things, almost all of them can be changed or modified.
e.g. Replacing hammers vs. Reshaping, maybe including new Shanks and
Flanges.  Depending on the needs of the action, means of the client, will of
the technician, different parts may need replacement vs. refurbishing.  So,
in the end, some mix of refurbishing/replacing can occur.  It really is a
case by case situation here, IMO.

Respectfully,
William R. Monroe