Japanese Chisels

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Sun, 3 Apr 2005 21:22:01 -0400

Hello David,

I use the Tormek machine and like it quite a bit. I also use the Japanese
laminated chisel that Del recommends for bridge notching. I see the logic
that the hollow grind will provide less support of the cutting edge. With my
Tormek, I can sharpen the Japanese chisel (or any chisel, plane blade, etc.)
to a razor edge. It seems to keep and edge quite well. Maybe the edge would
last longer if it was flat ground, but doesn't seem to me to be any big
deal. The hollow grind with the big Tormek wheel isn't really all that far
from a flat grind.

I wish I had the skills to sharpen by hand. Anyone interested in buying a
very nice set of ceramic stones (professional series)?
http://www.shaptonstones.com/

Terry Farrell