Hey, Aural Gurus ...

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Tue, 05 Apr 2005 22:37:46

Hi Alan,

The advantage of the Sanderson is that the octave widths are found almost
immediately. If f3 and f4 are in the same octave relationship as a3 and a4,
then c#4 will be "in the right place" very quickly.

Pure 5ths would only occur by accident in most pianos. It is one reason to
"push" past a 4:2 octave--the wider the octave the better the fifths will
be. Some even do a wide 6:3 from f3 to f4. Tuning comes down to a "matter
of taste".

At 10:39 PM 4/5/2005 -0500, you wrote:

>I had assumed you still had to have a "starting place" for F3 or C3, here,
>but on more careful reading it seems like you just rough them in and start
>tweaking both of them, kinda simultaneously, until you get your ladder
>working. Is that the idea? I will have to try it but it seems as though you
>could go back and forth in many iterations before you nailed it. Is it not
>that tough?
>
>I'm still curious about the P12th D3-A4 bit, though. Is the logic correct or
>would different pianos require a, shall we say, less-than-perfect 12th?
>
>Alan R. Barnard
>Salem, MO

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/