Strange bridge

Wed, 6 Apr 2005 20:12:41 +0100

------=_NextPart_001_08E1_01C53AE4.FC6F3C30
Hello Alan and List
Yes, I had one of these - and restrung it.... Yes, it had oblong pis and =
they were threaded. I used fine grit sand paper in tube shape (grit side =
out) to make the wrest pins tight when I restrung this little fish-tail =
bicorda grand. There's a board along the entire length of the action =
with a key-hole opening. On this was punched the name of the craftsman =
who made the action. I found getting those dampers in and out to be the =
most difficult part - for they're screwed in to the damper lever block =
and some are right next to the girder bars.
Regards
Michael G.(UK)=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan Forsyth=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 9:55 AM
  Subject: Re: Strange bridge

  Hmmm, my goodness, we are becoming an obstreperous bunch of sceptics =
lately :-)

  I know because my mentors knew from their mentors. We come across many =
of these instruments that are in their original state.

  Here is a photo of Broadwood no J7024 which I assume is circa 1870, in =
it's original state except one bass single has been replaced. All the =
bass section has the windings going through the bridge and the =
monochords have their booties on.

  Here is a picture of the same piano at the other end. You can see that =
the bass only has 3 sets of bichords and from there up to the break it =
is all wound trichords, which I referred to earlier as the easiest wound =
trichords to tune that I have come across. Notice also the bass =
soundboard cutoff bar. This piano by the way has those dreaded threaded =
pins, and to add insult to injury, they are oblong.

  This piano is still used regularly at the Edinburgh Festival and in =
recordings. Now, don't ask me how I know that! (Hint; because I have to =
tune the bloody thing)

  AF

  ----- Original Message -----=20