Advice sought on replacing Lester "Betsy Ross " plastic damperflanges.

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 08:10:08 -0500

Vargas acrylic elbows from Schaff.

Use center pin nippers to snip of the remnants of the old plastic (it's
pretty easy).

Pull the sticker wire out of the piano, heat the threaded end with a torch
for just a couple of seconds (you'll quickly find out what's too much,
what's too little--but the wire should NOT be glowing red) and push it into
the top of the new elbow. This works perfectly, fast, and easy. Forget about
spinning them on like a screw.

The other end of the elbow has a flange-type bushing with a twist: The hole
has a slot to the outer world; through this you "snap" the elbow onto the
wippen pin--after replacing the sticker in the piano, of course.

Very easy and quick. Probably THE most satisfying work you will ever do on a
Betsy.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO