Why do some pianos have the bass bridge connected to thelongbridge?

Calin Tantareanu calin.tantareanu@gmx.net
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 23:32:23 +0300

Hi!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Delwin D Fandrich" <fandrich@pianobuilders.com>
To: "'Pianotech'" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 9:53 PM
Subject: RE: Why do some pianos have the bass bridge connected to
thelongbridge?

> Tradition. And empirical design.
> There is no need for the bass spine, or straight side, to go off at an
> angle.
> The same effect can much more easily be achieved by slightly altering the
> string
> angles. Within reasonable limits the bass bridge can be placed anywhere
> the
> designer wants it to be.

It just occurred to me that the wide angled spine could be a reminiscence of
the straight-strung grands. In those, it was a good idea  to keep the end of
the bass bridge at a distance from the spine/rim. And I guess it was easier
to just angle the spine (to the left) to get the needed distance &
soundboard area, rather than moving (to the right) the bridges and angling
all the strings, hammer heads etc., which would have amounted to a major
piano re-design.

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calintantareanu.tripod.com