keytops

MICHAEL MORVAN keymaestro@verizon.net
Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:20:31 -0400

Mpianotex,
    Now that you have described them thoroughly, the key you are =
describing sounds like an "Essex" key.  This was a key made by Pratt & =
Read co. in which they were trying to make keyboards of more plastic =
than wood (it failed). The key is about an eighth of an inch thick and =
covers the sides of the key as well as the top. There is only a sliver =
of actual wood in this thick plastic molding. I Have several of them in =
my shop, they were part of the supplies and tools I acquired from Frank =
Stopa which he acquired from Pratt & Read when they went out of =
business. I agree with Greg and Patrick, this keyboard will either need =
to be built up on all dimensions or a new one built from scratch.  The =
cost of both of these options will probably make your client faint or =
have a heart attack. Mike Morvan
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: MPianotex@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 5:05 PM
  Subject: Re: keytops

  From the to they keys look ordinary. When you actually take them out =
of the piano you see that the white keycovers are actually not attached =
to the key on the side, but only held by the plastic having been dimpled =
on the inside and pasted in spots to the thin key iteslf.The actual key =
is so thin that it looks as if the white cover was made into a sort of =
sandwich around the wood, not just attached at the front and face as =
keytops usually are.
  Have you ever seen this?