Advice sought on replacing Lester "Betsy Ross " plastic damperflanges.

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 20:05:29 -0500

Oops.

"Read and follow all label directions."

Nobody actually answered his actual question, did they? I've replaced
Gulbransen spinet plastic damper flanges with "generic" wooden ones, I bet
they'd fit on the Betsy, too.

Alan R. Barnard
Somewhat M-bare-assed in Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Davis [mailto:davistunes@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 9:29 AM
To: Alan
Subject: RE: Advice sought on replacing Lester "Betsy Ross " plastic
damperflanges.

Really?  I would never have thought the Vagias elbows would work to replace
damper flanges.  Go figure.

Oh, here's a tech tip, if you order them direct from Vagias, you save about
10 bucks a set.

Dave Davis
Grinning in Renton, WA

Alan Wrote...
Vargas acrylic elbows from Schaff.

Use center pin nippers to snip of the remnants of the old plastic (it's
pretty easy).

Pull the sticker wire out of the piano, heat the threaded end with a
torch
for just a couple of seconds (you'll quickly find out what's too much,
what's too little--but the wire should NOT be glowing red) and push it
into
the top of the new elbow. This works perfectly, fast, and easy. Forget
about
spinning them on like a screw.

The other end of the elbow has a flange-type bushing with a twist: The
hole
has a slot to the outer world; through this you "snap" the elbow onto
the
wippen pin--after replacing the sticker in the piano, of course.

Very easy and quick. Probably THE most satisfying work you will ever do
on a
Betsy.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO