keytops (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Wayne Walker wayne.w@musicstop.com
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:44:06 -0300

Hi Roger,
How do you mill the tops of the keys. Do you have jig for router or table
saw.

Wayne Walker
Piano Tuner & Technician
MUSICSTOP LTD
1005 Dow Rd, New Minas, NS
B4N 3R4
Cell 902-221-1540
Fax 902-681-1463
wayne.w@musicstop.com <mailto:wayne.w@musicstop.com>
www.musicstop.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Jolly [mailto:roger.j@sasktel.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 11:26 PM
To: files@ptg.org
Subject: Re: keytops (Modified by Kent Swafford)

  Hi Mpiano.
                      It would be nice if you would use your name.
However I have posted a photo essay that may help.

  1.  Iron on veneer is the best way to build up the sides of keys.   It
will just iron on with a regular clothes iron.  Just sand the sides
flush after you have built up the keys.   I like the whiteness of
birch, it gives a factory looking job.

  2.  Fit the keys on the frame and make adjustments by sanding the very
narrow gaps.

  3.  We mill the key tops, removing about 0.030" so that we have a
perfectly flat and parallel keytop. this will give a much better glue
joint.  We send photos at a later date if need be. ( note the nice
clean notch at the rear of the molding.)

  3.  Once the keytop's are glued on, a good notching job makes or
breaks the finish product. get a fairly small tooth file that will fit
between the keys.  Take it to a machinist, and have him/her grind the
sides to a polished finish.  This way you will not damage the right
angled side of the notch.

  4.  Clamp a straight edge to the keys as shown. Use as a filing guide
A fool proof factory looking job every time :-D

  5.  A built up mouse repair using west systems epoxy and micro filer.

  Regards Roger

  At 09:24 AM 4/7/2005, you wrote:

>  I have a Currier spinet that a client wants new keytops to be
> installed. Upon removing the keys, I found that the old keytops were a
> sandwich type of plastic wrapped around a thin key. If I put the
> regular replacement keytops on then the sides of the key would be too
> thin to fit the keytop.
>  Has anyone come across this? The old keys were really the white
> plastic that was attached to the thin wooden key by a crinkling of the
> plastic on the inside part.
>  Any help would be appreciated.
> Mpianotex@aol.com

Photos at: