String winders & string scales

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:22:50 -0700

With all string winders you have to make it clear that you want what you want --
even if its wrong. By now I figure I have about as much experience with string
scale design as anyone else out there. And a whole lot more than most. So, when
I specify a certain core and wrap that is what I want. Nothing more, nothing
less. If I've made a mistake, well, it's my mistake and I'll eat it. A lot of
the strings I order are developmental and I don't want the string winder trying
to second-guess me.

As I say, Jim and I have had discussions about this with the result that he
always sends me what I specify.

Another string winder who is very good about this is Walter Schienke (J.D.
Grandt Piano Supply Co., 905.773-0087). I have some customers who want to use
him (he's in Canada) as have we from time to time. His service is also quite
good and his strings are excellent.

Del