The "Jolly Loop" (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Fri, 08 Apr 2005 15:17:30 -0600

Hi Del
               I have too much evidence to the contrary.  The end of the
knot becomes a theoretical termination point, and the helix is almost
incapable of flexing.
So many pianos have about a 55mm knot at A0,  and only about 7-10mm of
flexible string.  James had a clear demonstration model at the Cal state
convention.  The reaction of all that saw it was wow! The vibration time of
the new knot vs an English loop is about 3 times greater.  To the previous
writer, it is not Del's hitch pins.  But was developed and patented by
Harold Conklin of the Baldwin piano company.

Whilst Conklin's design was a big step forward. I feel the knot also adds
some thing.  The feed back on my prototype 6'4'' Knabe at NAMM received
very positive results. Side by side comparisons of the three models re
scaled, has been a very obvious improvement..

Regards Roger