Splicing Strings

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:23:04 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C53C5F.9FF4FE00
Yep. it works. But it makes big, loose knots compared to the vice grips
method. You DO have to use the round nose method, however, if you are =
making
a loop that will slip over bass string windings.
=20
I'm spending some time tomorrow with David Vanderhooven who posted the =
nice
pictures you referred to. Maybe he and I will slug it out and the winner
will get back to you. <G>
=20
My method is not MY method, BTW, it was in a Bill Spurlock journal =
artical
and is the method being taught at the Associates Seminar. I just think =
it is
at least 15 degrees cooler than the "old" way. But it's not worth any =
raised
hackles, so sorry if I sounded preachy.
=20
I posted the following earlier today:
=20
This is a CLASSIC example of something that is very hard to learn out of =
book or by anyone's written description. The ONLY use for round nosed
pliers, IMH?O, is to make a biggish loop to wind around itself as a =
hitch
pin loop. For splicing, it's two hard to make the loops small enough and
even enough and you tend to get at least one sharp corner in each loop.
Then, when you want to tighten the knot, you have to pull it way too =
much so
it's hard to control where the knot ends up in the piano.
=20
For splicing string, forget every other method and get yourself some 5" =
Vice
Grips (I think it says 5CW on the handle). This easily makes SMALL loops
that come together in a small, tight knot.=20
=20
... [see the] PTG Technical Exam Sourcebook... In the copy I have, page =
V4
has a good set of pics to show splicing in this manner and page V5 has  =
great hitch-loop procedure demonstrated ... It's so much easier to learn
aural and mechanical skills when they are demonstrated and then you can =
try
it in the presence of the one teaching. Hard to learn in the abstract =
and on
your own. That's been the frustration of most of us in the business ...
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO