The "Jolly Loop" (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 22:34:12 -0700

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Roger Jolly
Sent: April 08, 2005 2:18 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: The "Jolly Loop" (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Hi Del
              I have too much evidence to the contrary.  The end of the knot
becomes a theoretical termination point, and the helix is almost incapable of
flexing.

I'd sure like to see it. With vertical hitches the string doesn't have to flex,
it pivots at the hitchpin itself. The twist is of no consequence.

 So many pianos have about a 55mm knot at A0,  and only about 7-10mm of flexible
string.  James had a clear demonstration model at the Cal state convention.  The
reaction of all that saw it was wow! The vibration time of the new knot vs an
English loop is about 3 times greater.

I can see this if it is compared to a conventional hitchpin system. But not if
it is compared to a vertical hitchpin system.

To the previous writer, it is not Del's hitch pins.  But was developed and
patented by Harold Conklin of the Baldwin piano company.

The vertical hitch pin that I most often use is some different than that used by
Baldwin. It is this difference the writer was referring to not the invention of
the system.

And, for what it's worth (and with respect to Mr Conklin's many other
achievements), when I was at Baldwin I was told by both Bob Cutshall (then head
of engineering) and Bob Farris (then chief piano engineer) that the actual
inventor of the vertical hitch and the floating plate mounting system was a
piano technician/rebuilder who worked in the R&D shop.

Regards,

Del