Splicing Strings

William R. Monroe pianotech@a440piano.net
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 20:37:12 -0500

Joe,

Why all three?  Just curious.  I've used the sheet bend exclusively till
recently, and just started tying the tuner's knot to see if it works better
at any particular time....so far, it's mainly just a different knot for me.
Am I missing something, or is there a situation that might call for one type
of knot, but not the other knot.  A not neat knot need not be knotted, BTW.

Respectfully,
William R. Monroe

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: "pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 1:50 AM
Subject: Re: Splicing Strings

Richard said: "I have yet to master the KNOT...and is probably the major
stumbling block for me, in trying the technical exam for RPT. Any ideas ??"

Richard et al,
Practice, practice, practice.....!<G> You didn't learn to tune overnight,
and especially w/o lots of practice. Don't wait for a string to break before
you attempt to do the knot(s)! The easiest way, I know, is to get some
electrical wire w/sheathing, different colors. It's soft copper, so it's
easy to manipulate. There are three knots that you need to learn: 1. The
Tuner's Knot, which is actually pointed out by Ron Nossman to be the Theif's
Knot. 2. The Square Knot. Any Boy Scout book will show you this one and the
next one. 3. The Sheet Bend. This knot can be used where you don't want the
string sticking out, sideways on one side, but you have room on the other
side. All of these knots will work and can be mastered with a little
PRACTICE.<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police