Steinway heavy touch

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 19:40:12 -0700

Ditto.  Aside from friction and wear variables, Steinways are known for
inconsistent touch from piano to piano largely because the action ratios
vary from piano to piano (at least with grands) and hammers are not
selected for weight accordingly.  Some Steinways are very light, some
very heavy.  The best approach will depend on the reasons.  On uprights,
control friction, spring tension, damper lift, and modify lead weighting
to achieve desired touchweight.  On grands, control friction, damper
lift and match hammer weights to action ratios with appropriate leading
to achieve desired balance weight.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Donald Mannino
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 6:21 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Steinway heavy touch

At 06:44 PM 4/8/2005, you wrote:

We all know that Steinway pianos, both verticals and grands are noted
for their heavy touch. I am rebuilding a 1975 console that has an
extemely heavy touch. Does anyone on the list have any suggestions for
easing the touch?

Roy Czekay,

Milwaukee, WI

Roy,

No, we don't all know that they are noted for the heavy touch.  What
ever gives you that idea - one piano?

Some ideas of things to consider on this one:
Damper lift (spoons) too early
Damper springs too strong
Wippen cushion wear
Corrosion or burrs on capstans
Graphite on the hammer butts
Worn key bushings / corroded key pins

The list could be made longer, but you didn't really quantify what heavy
means in this case.  Measure up and down weight (with the damper pedal
pressed) on some sample notes, then post the numbers here.

Don Mannino RPT