Questions from Jean-Jacques

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:30:15 +0100

Hi Jean.

Some other things have been tried, and no doubt we will see new attempts
in the future.  Wood has its own sound tho, and unless one is willing to
redefine <<thee piano sound>> (which of course anyone is free to attempt
and/or accomplish) wood will be the material of choice for the future.
Both for soundboards, ribs, and a good deal of other components.

Steaming to restore crown is something that has been used, and indeed is
rather common practice with the small and thin sound boards found in
some historic instruments, so called square grands from earlier on in
the 1800's come to mind.  The problem is not so much restoring some form
of crown as it is supporting it over the long term. At present there are
only ad-hoc methods available or methods that require disassembly
proceedures that most rebuilders hedge from...but not all.  I know a
couple rebuilders that from time to time carefully remove the soundboard
and steam off the ribs so as to be able to re-rib the soundboard.  I'll
leave it to each individual to judge whether this is worth it or not,
but I personally find the results plenty pleasing.

Steaming will no doubt restore the crown... but it will not be as strong
as the origional crown was and its probably doubtfull as to whether this
in itself is worth the trouble.

Cheers
RicB

Hello list,

I have two questions to ask:
1. Has anyone of you ever heard of ribs made of other material than wood, such
as aluminium or even plexiglas?
2. Has anyone ever tried to use steaming as a way to 'restore' crown on a
collapsed soundboard?
This is not something I have ever done, but I wonder what reaction such ideas
would mneet with on this list.

Peace

Jean-Jacques Granas