(no subject)

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:02:31 -0400

Hey Jean-Jacques,  :-)

> 1. Has anyone of you ever heard of ribs made of other material than wood,
such
> as aluminium or even plexiglas?

Yes, as others have suggested, however, aluminum would make a terrible
material for a soundboard.  Bang a steel pan, and it rings.  Bang an
aluminum pan, and it goes "clonk."

I have heard a steel soundboard, and it produces a very interesting sound.
The bass and tenor are very rich and seductive.  The treble, on the other
hand, rings like bells and has a bit of a steel drum sound to it.  It's a
very peculiar sound that I wouldn't call "piano-like."  I haven't heard a
glass soundboard, but I imagine it sounds similar -- or perhaps like ringing
glasses in the treble.  (Yes??)

I suspect the greatest promise for alternative materials might lie in the
rib structure.  I would love to see someone create a carbon fiber rib (for
instance) for a rib crowned/supported soundboard.

Or how about a ribless laminated soundboard with coil spring supports (i.e.
made of spring steel) supporting the downbearing beneath the bridges?  It
could have a milled core of varying thickness -- thinner at the margins and
towards the treble (?) to achieve the desired response, and then a finish
laminate could be bonded over that.  The core could even be milled into a
dish shape, in the same manner as a violin soundboard.  This could all be
easily achieved with CNC machining.

Lots of possibilities!  :-)

Peace,
Sarah