(no subject)

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:30:35 +0100

Hi Jean-Jacques

I imagine you are thinking that once you've steam-bent the soundboard
back into a <<crown>> that things are more or less back to normal and
subjecting it to some reasonable amounts of humidity will keep it there.
This really isnt true... tho one easily understands the thinking.

First off, how a soundboard would react to steam <<re-crowning>> if you
will is somewhat dependent a bit on what kind of crown the soundboard
origionally had, and what caused it to go bad.  In any case however...
the resulting crown will no doubt be weaker then when the panel was
new.  How well increased humidity levels can sustain that crown against
downbearing from the strings depends pretty much on how much compressive
strength there is left in the soundboard panel itself.  If it has gone
through many seasons with fairly heavy climate changes... its probably
pretty non reactive by now.  In that case humidity isnt going to help
much.

You can use dry heat as well, but the results are going to end up about
the same.  No way around it... there has to be some mechanism for
supporting crown yes ??

Cheers
RicB

I can see that maintaining a crown 'restored', so to speak, by steaming the
soundboard would be a problem. I assume this could only be tried on an
instrument that has spent much time in a very dry environment and is moved to an
area that has normal or even high humidity levels. Whould this change alone be
sufficient to maintain the crown?

About the glue joints coming apart, I can see that this would indeed by a risk
factor. How about using a simple humidifier instead of steaming?

Thanks for the comments,

Peace

Jean-Jacques Granas
Warsaw