How to find age of Baldwin 6'3

Andrew Olson andrew@birchcreek.org
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:24:25 -0500

Hello everyone--

Does anyone know how I might find the age of a Baldwin 6'3" that I just
purchased?  I'm doing a complete rebuild on it and cannot find a serial
number ANYWHERE.  What I have found...is what I think is a CASE number.
That number is 8140.  If I were to base the age off of that number and from
the Pierce Atlas...it would put the piano being built between 1895 and 1900.
BUT, I do not think it is that vintage.  There seems to be a date on the
underside of the plate indicating 1922..but I'm not sure of that either.
Then also on the underside of the plate, written in chalk is the same "case
number" of 8140 that I've found imprinted on many of the case parts after
stripping them.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Andrew Olson