How to find age of Baldwin 6'3

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:51:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Andrew,

I am afraid, the four digit number is not going to
help much.  Look on the underside of the sound board.
Somewhere in the mid-treble area you may see the
following rubber stamped mark:

XXXXXX,

where XXXXXX is the serial number.  This, and the
obvious location on top of the plate are the only two
places on a Baldwin L where I have seen the serial no.

Does the piano have vertical hitch pins?

Vladan

=======================
Hello everyone--

Does anyone know how I might find the age of a Baldwin
6'3" that I just
purchased?  I'm doing a complete rebuild on it and
cannot find a serial
number ANYWHERE.  What I have found...is what I think
is a CASE number.
That number is 8140.  If I were to base the age off of
that number and from
the Pierce Atlas...it would put the piano being built
between 1895 and 1900.
BUT, I do not think it is that vintage.  There seems
to be a date on the
underside of the plate indicating 1922..but I'm not
sure of that either.
Then also on the underside of the plate, written in
chalk is the same "case
number" of 8140 that I've found imprinted on many of
the case parts after
stripping them.

Any ideas?

Thanks!