valuing a tuning business

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:39:24 -0500

Sorry to hear you're having troubles.
=20
As a starting point, I heartily suggest you consult an experienced CPA =
and a
business-savvy attorny who work with small business owners. I have a =
little
experience in this kind of thing from a consulting business I had, not
pianos (in another life).
=20
If you and I were the only tuners in an area and you wanted to sell the
business, I wouldn't give you a nickle for it. I would simply take over =
the
business as it came to me. If you found a tuner, new or experienced, who
wanted to buy it, he would still have to establish himself with each =
client.
I'd probably have a chance to whittle into that business, too.
=20
My point is that the biggest assets in most service businesses are the
client list (always fragile, new owners have no guarantees of continuing
relationships) and the local reputation, which basically goes poof as =
soon
as people find out that you, their trusted Gulbransen Guru, Mason Mystic =
and
Knabe Knoodler, are no longer there. This is true in spades when the
business is basically "you."
=20
Anyway, this kind of thinking should help keep the "valuation" on the =
very
small side, I hope. After all, the biggest value consideration any =
business
has is it's ability to generate cash flow after costs, in a favorable
relation to any debt it carries. In your case, assuming you are a
one-man-band like me, your "business cash flow" and your "personal =
earnings
for alimony/child support" are really the same thing. No fair =
considering
the same dollars up for grabs in both categories, I say!
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Wishing you all the best from Salem, MO