Virtual Ribs, A new crown support method

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:21:28 +0100

Hi David

I do not believe I said this was better then any other method.  I did
mention the ability to seperate concerns of mass and stiffness. As far
as overstressing the panel is concerned, (I suppose you are refering to
the compression crowning discussion)  I simply do not recognize the
validity of many of the claims made on this list in that regard and
hence do not see any definition of <<overstressing the panel>> in that
context that needs to be worried about. And it seems a very large
proportion of the piano manufacturing industry is in aggreement on that
point. On the contrary, it seems more and more apparent to me that
compression soundboards do indeed create a different sound that can not
be achieved otherwise. One can use opposing  magnets to strengthen any
area of a compression panel one wants, or one can simply create an
essentially rib crowned panel that allows more freedom relative to mass
and stiffness concerns.  Or... one can get all creative and see what
else one can come up with.

A few weeks back on a beater I have experimented with I changed both the
pitch and increased sustain characteristics in the mid treble area just
by alligning three such magnet pairs so that they were seperated by a 5
mm gap. Turning them up to 3 mm gap further raised pitch but seemed to
thin out the sound a bit despite relatively long sustain.  It seems to
me there is lots of room for experimentation along these lines.

Cheers
RicB

David Love wrote:

Why would this be better than simply creating a rib crowned and
supported panel that can be compressed to the requisite stiffness
through the use of downbearing without overstressing the panel?

David Love