Seating strings: what's the sound tell you?

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:55:31 -0400

First visit to a rebuilt 1917 S&S D, not well-maintained, and exposed to =
humidity swings (10 years after a rebuild, and there's an 8-inch crack =
right behind the bridge, about octave 6).  Lots of false beats around =
C3, so I decided to seat the strings (tapping with a brass rod right in =
front of the speaking length pin).

I was surprised at the variety of sounds I heard.  Mostly the note =
sounded in a strange way, with sustain.  Sometimes the sustain was =
shorter; this seemed to correlate to the string having climbed up the =
pin.  Sometimes there was a loud thunk: the rod slipped off the string =
and hit the bridge (oops!).

It seemed that one could gather valuable diagnostic information by =
listening to the variety of sounds produced... if only I knew what to =
listen for.

Suggestions?

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV