Seating strings: what's the sound tell you?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:38:27 -0500

Cy Shuster wrote:
> Thanks, Jurgen, I'll try that.  It also solidifies the bridge pins, and
> prevents any possible string damage.
>
> --Cy--

It takes close to 15 lbs to slide a string under about a 10° side
bearing along a bridge pin. Driving the pin instead of tapping a
string isn't doing the bridge cap any favors at all, being the
equivalent of pressing the string into the cap with a 15 lb. tap. It
won't make the pin any more firm in the cap either. It's the
looseness where the pin enters the cap that causes the false beat,
and driving the pin deeper won't change that. It merely drives the
string into the cap and clamps it down for a while. If the holes are
drilled deeper than the pin reaches, it might get you a fresh
bearing surface, but if the pin is bottomed in the hole, it will
push right back up where it was in the next dry cycle.

Tap the bridge pin, or seat the string, as you wish. Neither fixes
the problem, and both are destructive to the bridge cap.