Key Clamping Jig

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:51:07 -0700

Attached are the photos.  These are simple trap springs screwed into a
long piece of pin block scrap which has been screwed down to a slab of
something I had laying around.  The pin block material is shimmed up off
the deck to allow the lip to slip under.  Once the key is placed under
the clamp I depress the spring slightly while holding the key.  The
release of tension on the spring pulls the key slightly toward the pin
block stop as otherwise there is tendency for the key to drift back
while the keytop remains stationary and a gap can form at the front.  As
you can see, you can also use this for clamping a set of sharps.  If you
install tops without fronts, you could make the jig with a stop for the
keytop recessed whatever distance you want underneath and behind the
line of the larger stop for the key front.  That way you can index the
same amount of overhang of the key top for each key.  Since I don't
install keytops without fronts I didn't bother to do that.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: P1010005.JPG