Seating strings

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:46:56 -0500

And, as a practical matter, where do you find the most false beats and do
the most string seating?  Octave 5 and above, where the vibrational
displacement of the string is barely, or not, large enough to see.   And
does it occur as often on verticals, where the direction of the hammer
impact should help to seat the string?  Now, which string was shown in the
film?  I'm guessing it was a long heavy bass string, as they would have the
largest / slowest displacement and make the most interesting film.   I'm
inclined towards Ron's vision of what's happening at the bridge pins.

Mike