Was OnlyPure not P12ths Tunings

William Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:00:53 -0400

At 6:17 PM -0500 4/14/05, Porritt, David wrote:
>The difference between the 12th root of 2, and the 19th root of 3 is
>0.00006297038.  That's not a difference I can aurally detect.

That's before modulating this ratio by the actual landscape of
inharmonicity on a given piano.

At 12:42 AM +0100 4/15/05, Ric Brekne wrote:
>I've heard Bill Ballard talk about an article or column he wrote in
>the journal some 20 years back or so, and I've seen another column
>on the matter from the 70's I believe.

"The 3:1 Octave" back sometime in '93, a technique I'd stumbled on in
'88. The list may remember that we went over the Prior Art of this
business once already, last September.

At 6:02 PM -0700 4/14/05, Joe Garrett wrote:
>What you are proposing to "market", is already available from Jim
>Coleman Sr. for free! He's already done it.

Joe, just for historical purposes, which of the many tuning schemes
Jim has handed out over the years, are you referring to? And of
course, Bernhard has only given us a rough sketch of the aural
version of his temperament.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

".......true more in general than specifically"
     ...........Lenny Bruce, spoofing a radio discussion of the Hebrew
roots of Calypso music