Seating strings

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 23:26:05 -0700

While I agree that tapping seems to provide a temporary fix.  I think
you would be better off securing the bridge pin by the use of thin CA
glue wicked into the base of the pin to secure it and keep it from
oscillating.  Tapping the pin (not the string) can lower the groove that
gets cut into the side of the pin so that it is closer to the surface of
the bridge, but the false beats tend to come from pins which are loose
in the bridge cap.  As Roger J. pointed out, pins that are held secure
with epoxy rarely have problems with false beats-unless the false beat
comes from poor terminations at the other end.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Piano Forte Supply
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 10:59 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Seating strings

In a number of voicing classes and seminars across the country, I have
experienced (seen and heard) how tapping the bridge pin can reduce or
remove false beats and even strengthen and focus the tone of that
string.  I don't claim to know all the physics involved, or whether or
not strings can climb, or jump, for that matter.  I'll leave that
discussion to others with a better grasp of the math.

In the meantime, (even if it isn't a "permanent" fix, just as my tuning
isn't) I'll go on tapping pins here and there as needed,  improving the
tone of the pianos I work on and satisfying my clients <G>.

Jurgen Goering